Coldbit Hex lets you backup your wallet mnemonic seed on a metal rod.
Compared to Coldbit Steel it has a smaller form factor, the same extreme durability but more affordable price.
It’s made of a 13mm hexagonal stainless steel or titanium rod and allows to backup and safely store up to 24 mnemonic words for decades. Stainless steel and titanium are extremely durable and can withstand extreme environmental conditions.
The rod has 6 sides and each side holds 4 words.
It comes with a testing/support plate to practice stamping and provide support.
Because of the smaller form factor it is easy to find a secure place for the rod.
HOW TO USE IT:
- When ordering this product don’t forget to order the A-Z letter stamp set as well. You’ll need it to stamp the words.
- You’ll need a 1 – 1.5 kg ( 2 – 3 lbs) club hammer. You can find it at your local hardware store. If not you can add the hammer to your basket when ordering but bear in mind it increases the shipping cost significantly because its heavy.
- You will receive detailed stamping instructions a few days after ordering the product. The optionally supplied jig makes the process easy.
- After stamping store the rod in a safe location.
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN THE PACKAGE:
- Coldbit Hex rod (this product)
- Brass case for the rod
- Testing/support steel plate
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED:
SHOULD I CHOOSE STEEL OR TITANIUM?
Both AISI 304 steel and titanium are extremely durable and can withstand fire, flood, electric shocks and very strong acids.
Titanium is lighter and more expensive than steel and has a slightly higher melting temperature (~ 1600C vs. 1400C for AISI 304 steel).
However such temperatures are usually not possible to achieve in an average house fire (which is ~ 600C) so both products will do great in such scenarios.
Overall titanium has a slight edge over AISI 304 steel when it comes to durability however both metals are perfect materials for securing your mnemonic seeds